Hello, friends ❤️ I’ve received several queries in my mailbox about suggestions for things to do during this period of quarantine, shelter in, lockdown, or whatever you wish to call it. Here are 10 things…
- Use this period to get to know your children, or your family members, or your household staff better. Think about it as a golden opportunity. At what point in time will you again have this much time with your children, and your family? I’m grateful to have my two adult children with me now, 24/7. Though we keep six feet away from each other most of the time, we have been able to do all these simple things together that a month ago their schedules would not permit.
- Declutter again or declutter for the first time, and put your house/life in order by doing the things you would often say there’s no time for. Review the Marie Kondo episodes on Netflix for guidance. Unclutter your office, garage, attic, bodega, kitchen, library. Throw things out or give them away! Lighten your load for this next decade. Don’t waste this opportunity. It will never (we pray!) come again.
- Take good care of your mental health. Anxiety can kick in during these times so make sure to be extra kind to yourself. Limit watching or reading the news to an hour or two each day. Refer only to the reliable sources like the WHO or the DOH. Subscribe to the DOH COVID updates on the TELEGRAM app. It updates several times a day. Read positive things. If your Viber groups are more negative than positive you can either mute them or make the resolve to only visit them once a day for a few minutes.
- Take time to rediscover life’s simple joys through reading (make a goal to read X number of books per week), music (SPOTIFY has an excellent selection of soothing music) conversation (call or message friends you haven’t seen or spoken to in ages), craftwork (paint, bake, cook, sew), meditation (so many apps available!), contemplative prayer morning, noon, and night. I personally subscribe to the First Five app by the Proverbs 31 ministries, and listen to a podcast on Spotify called Pray Everyday. Shameless plug : I recently started a podcast on Spotify called Inspiration Revolution where I broadcast every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday nights.
- Pay closer attention to your health and fitness by doing “at home” workouts, eating clean and light, start intermittent fasting (a challenge when you’re just at home with all the temptations! BUT it can be done if you set your mind to it) and in the process, drop a few pounds.
- Take a virtual tour of one of the many hundreds of great museums. Art heals and soothes. Many museums have this available just ask Google.
- FaceTime with parents, grandparents, relatives and friends to catch up on each other’s lives. Skype it if you don’t have FaceTime.
- Take an online class or sign up for a podcast to study something you love and want to learn more about. I’ve signed up for a class on Coursera which is being delivered by Yale. I may never afford to study at Yale so this is the next best thing. So many great courses to study, friends! There is the free option, and the courses where you pay to get a certificate once you complete the coursework.
- Binge-watch something wonderful, uplifting, funny, romantic or adventure movies or documentaries. Please avoid, depressing and catastrophe movies such as Outbreak. Be careful what you feed your mind during this period. Of course, there’s always the ever reliable K-Drama of which I’m now a firm believer in and an advocate for. Best. Stress-buster. Ever.
- Pray, everyday. Several times a day. Start a Bible study plan. The YOU Bible app has many you can choose from 7, 14, 30 day plans. Spend time in His word. It is the best anxiety soother!
Please feel free to add more to this list in the comment thread below. If you have a prayer request or a pressing question about mental health issues, feel free to send me a PM.
I close this with two of my favorite scriptures that I read and re-read whenever I feel anxious.
11 For I know the plans(A) I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper(B) you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.(C)
And Philippians 4:6
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Take care, stay healthy let’s pray for one another, and keep in touch here! ❤️